The YSS were delighted to organise the Tuesday evening “pub quiz” at last week’s RSS 2015 conference in Exeter. We had a fantastic turn-out, with over 50 people competing for a range of prizes and enjoying free drinks, thanks to very generous sponsorship from ATASS Sports. When the final scores were tallied up, the winning team were “Exeter Tuesday” (111 points), with “In It For The Drinks” following close behind (108 points).
If you fancy having a go at the quiz, simply click on the link below to bring up the pdf of questions!
UPDATE (25 September 2015): The answers to the RSS 2015 Pub Quiz are now available! Please see the PDF below:
The Young Statisticians Section (YSS) of the Royal Statistical Society are seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the YSS Committee for 2016.
The YSS exists to support and bring together statisticians in the first 10 years of their careers – including students. We run a number of events each year for young statisticians, including careers days, webinars, competitions (such as this year’s Statistical Analytics Challenge and YSS/Significance Writing Competition) and a variety of sessions at the RSS Annual Conference, as well as supporting numerous other conferences and events in the statistical calendar. (For further details, please have a browse through some of the previous posts on this site!)
Being a member of the YSS Committee is a commitment but also very rewarding (and fun!) We are particularly looking for people who are keen to champion new ideas for reaching out the early-career statistics community, and to help organise events targeted at young statisticians. We hold three committee meetings per year, so most events and initiatives are organised remotely via email or phone conference.
If you would like to be considered for one of the committee positions, simply send an email (subject line “YSS Committee 2016”) to Tim at
by 6pm on Monday 21 September, with a short blurb (up to 250 words) summarising your background and why you’d like to join the committee. Please note that to take up a position you will need to be a full fellow of the RSS.
Next week the YSS will be out in force at the Royal Statistical Society’s Annual Conference in Exeter!
Conference is always one of the highlights of the YSS calendar, and this year we’re organising an unprecedented number of sessions – here’s a quick summary…
- “The Young Statistician’s Guide to Conference” – designed to help attendees (both new and old) get to grips with the conference programme, and provide a rundown of YSS conference highlights
Tuesday lunchtime social / icebreaker – come and meet fellow young statisticians over lunch!
Tuesday evening pub quiz + social – a general knowledge quiz (with prizes!) open to all conference attendees
Professional development session on submitting and refereeing journal articles
- Professional development session on inspiring young people with statistics and data – including how to become a STEM ambassador
- YSS/Significance Writing Competition session – with presentations from the three shortlisted writers
- Statistical Analytics Challenge session – with presentations from the two winning teams
- Organising and chairing the final plenary panel session – “What’s the worst that could happen? Exploding popular myths surrounding uncertainty and risk”
- Presentations from the prizewinners at the 2015 Young Statisticians Meeting and 2015 Research Students Conference
It promises to be an amazing and action-packed week, so if you’re coming down to Exeter, come and say hello – we’ll be wearing our famous red t-shirts, so you won’t miss us!